Monday, July 19, 2010

Interview: Kelly Fuls aka KY

What do you think about body modifications today?

Each clique has found a way to incorporate them into their culture in their own way. It moves in cycles from rebellion to acceptance, which is why I think some people take it farther than others. If you like it, do it, don't let anyone stop you, but don't just do it because you think it's cool either because that leads to being a phony.


Rietz Digital Imaging


There was a day in American culture when having one tattoo on your arm was considered bad-ass, but these days you see almost every other guy or girl with full sleeves and it's become much more mainstream than it was before. In a way, it's losing its rebellion, but it hasn't lost its roots, which is why I continue to get them.

I'd have to say my human heart is my favorite tattoo, because it reminds me of the things I'm passionate about in life.


What do you find most appealing to you in body modification?


The rights of passage, meaning whenever the needle penetrates your skin, be it for a tattoo or piercing.


When did you first get your tattoo and where is it located on your body?

I got a tattoo of The Crow on my right arm for graduating high school.


Rietz Digital Imaging


What influenced you to get a piercing or tattoo, etc.?

Rock 'n' Roll and motorcycles.


Has body modification changed you in any way?

It's made me fear a lot less than before, and it's also given me the will to live long enough to finish the canvas.


What are your thoughts on suspension?

It takes a lot of balls to endure that much pain and I respect anyone willing to try it. There may even be a day when I have the balls to do it.


Do you think in some ways its necessary to cover up tattoo's and piercings for a job interview or when performing your job?

First impressions are important, but skill is always the most important asset to any company. If the work is good and makes the company money, they're going to loosen their noose that much more. On the flip-side, yeah an actor is going to have to cover up their tattoos when they're playing a role, but that doesn't mean they can't rock it off-camera.


Rietz Digital Imaging


Do you think that today's society has become too judgmental about body modification?

I'm going to have to quote a friend of mine who said that "so many of our generation have tattoos." Then again, she doesn't have any herself, so it's coming from a totally outside perspective, which is where I think the judgmental attitude originates. There are some that are simply afraid to get body modifications, either because they think it will hurt too much or they care too much about what others will think of them. The days of the clean-cut All-American as we know it are long gone; wholesome has a new face, and that face has some body modifications, so get used to it!


Is there anything that you wish you didn't have or that you would like to change?

Maybe add a little depth and shading to one or two of my tattoos, but every piece I have tells a story about me.


Do you find enjoyment when getting tattooed, pierced, etc.?

These days, I get a new tattoo more than I get a haircut, so sometimes when my artist asks how the family or the dog is doing, it's cool because it takes away from the pain. That, and whenever I conceptualize a new design and it comes to life.

Have you ever had an issue when dealing with any type of body modification?

Nope, I took care of them all.


Interview conducted by Jess Angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment